Saturday, December 13, 2014

ANDOLONI BANGALI: PART 2




THE RELIGION OF RESISTANCE

Prama



“Mother, should I trust the government”, read the first poster, which I chanced to look upon, as I entered Pramod da’s canteen. Pramod da, one of the most popular figures in the campus, was busy talking to some of his clients in the counter, as I entered the Presidency college canteen, for the first time. Completely oblivious of ‘yet another girl’s entry’, he was shouting at a group of the students, who were banging the table, and singing (if I might call the action, so).

“Oto jore table bajale, toh table gulo aar thakbena”...

(“Do not bang those tables, they are old and will not be able to withstand your torture”), he yelled.

I was taken aback. The place was smoky, crowdie and indeed very noisy. The wall; the little that was visible in between the posters and the wall graffiti; was not very well-painted, cement flakes coming out from here and there. To sum it up, it was quite a different atmosphere for a ‘convent- educated’ girl, like me, who had for the past 13 years of life, learnt to be a perfectly God fearing, ‘lady like’ disciplinarian .






A widely circulated picture of the vacated Presidency College canteen (courtesy: Abhinandan Ghose)








A typical day at Pramod da’s (courtesy: Friend and photographer, Arijita Mukherjee)


The place however did not repel me, neither was the environment completely unexpected. Growing up in a typical Bengali middle class family, I remember going to the Indian coffee house[1] , quite often as my parents would decide to pay their almost regular visit to the College street, on weekends. It was more or less a regular affair. My parents would take a corner table, near the window in the 1st floor of the hall, and order Kabiraji and Cold coffee for the three of us. I would be left wide eyed, wondering how can that persistent hum of people talking, continue. I would stare at each and every individual in the hall, some speaking, some vehemently nodding their head, others trying to put in a word or two in the conversation.





A file picture of the entrance of Indian Coffee House   
A file picture of the Indian Coffee House (Image courtesy:  http://thewindowsilltales.wordpress.com/tag/park-street/ )

At this point I would be invariably interrupted by some acquaintance of my parents’ who having spotted us from some other corner of the hall, would come up to our table, bring in a chair and join us. Slowly the number of chairs would increase as the topic of discussion would range from the recent book that they have read to the new production of the theatre group, one of them was a member of. I was obviously always an ‘outsider’ to such lofty discussions, as I would keep speculating at the invariable possibility of meeting some one or the other, without any formal appointments or fix-ups, whenever we reached this place. 




A typical day at the Indian Coffee House. (Image courtesy: http://www.morningcable.com/entertainment/Travel/33510:a-coffee-over-adda.html)

Only much later did I realise that, this is what possibly distinguishes my city from any other. The invariable feeling of being ‘at home’, every time when I land into coffee house, amidst people who are in reality, so very unknown to me, yet so very known, makes this place stand out against the anonymity and ambiguity that any other modern city today is bound to be marked with. The regular exchanges of smiles and small talks, with relatively unknown people, when one is, at this place, invariably brings strangers nearer, as new bonds are formed, friendships made, circles and groups created. Thus, this city dares to remain different in the face of the globalized uniformity of the world. And it is this very spirit that I could recognize so very well, when I reached the Presidency College campus.

The campus was indeed ‘different’. It was not a place for the uniform or the homogenous. It was not a place which one could gauge from the lens of ‘cholo niyom motey’(“follow the rules”)[2]. The campus was a welcome home for the diverse and the dissimilar. It was a place for ‘multiple voices’.




The wall posters in Presidency College Campus. (Image courtesy: Friend and photographer, Roshni Chakrabarti)


Hence, during the first few weeks of my college life, I could hear my own meek voice, which I had forever learnt to hide behind the garb of inconfidence, being welcomed quite warmly in the campus. I was not one of those typical ‘know-a-lot’ ‘ Presidencian’ kind, who had  very strong opinions about subject ranging from Freud to Foucault. In fact, I was not even at-par with others while talking about the latest of Bengali or English Literature. Yet, I could feel my unprepared, impromptu, ideas being listened to with great importance.

I remember the evening before our annual ‘Rabindra-Smarane’ programme at the Derozio-Hall. All were busy writing posters and decorating the campus for the event next day, and I was roaming around aimlessly, for I was terrible at handicraft works, and my handwriting was not of the ‘poster-writing’ type, when a senior-turned-friend called me, and then persuaded me to try my luck on a few. Invariably, I could not look back at the posters, when I was finished with them. They looked exceptionally bad, amidst all others, and all I could do was to sheepishly hide them between the piles of other well-written ones. The next day, when I reached campus, I was more than sure to find my works of art, in the litter-bin, when I suddenly found two of them hanging in either side of the entrance of the hall. I could feel myself getting red, as I could just not believe that even those posters of mine, had carved out their place, in the campus. This was probably for the first time, when I realised that this campus was meant for the prepared, the under-prepared and perhaps the ‘otherly-prepared’ too.
                                       



The wall posters in Presidency College Campus. (Image courtesy: Friend and photographer, Roshni Chakrabarti)

Hence, my campus was never very perfect. Never spick and span like other college campuses. It never had super clean walls neither did it strive for one. On the contrary, the college was painted in the colours of multiplicity. It fostered the freedom to be different. It fostered the culture of resistance, resistance towards the cultural uniformity that the globalized world reeks of today. Hence, I remember the college raging in protest when a coffee shop run by an Italian company decided to set up a joint, in the campus. The students did resent, and successfully managed to shut the MNC outlet off for ever.[3]






The wall graffiti-es in Presidency College Campus.





A file picture of the Portico at the Presidency College Campus

This culture of Presidency, as I witnessed it, seems to be at a perfect harmony with that of the cultural predecessors of this institution. This college bears the illustrious history of the Young India Movement, of the Bengal Renaissance, of the Indian Freedom struggle, and even of the glorious students’ movement of the 60s. It was from this institute that the famous 19th century Western rationalist thinker, Henry Louis Vivian Derozio, started his ‘Young Bengal movement’ for which he was marginalized by the Hindu orthodox section and was ultimately forced to resign. Myths even suggest that it was in the stairs of the ‘main building’ of this very campus that Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose had slapped one of his British professor, for calling Indians as ‘barbarians’. Even during the Naxalite movement in the 6os, the college lawns used to be a favourite meeting ground for students of Kolkata and the neighbouring areas, and as stories suggest, the campus was indeed the hotbed of this movement. 





The Main building staircase. (Image courtesy: Friend and photographer, Arijita Mukherjee)

This college thus has always encouraged free thinking among its students from its very inception and here lies its culture of resistance. Today, when the Indian youth is being tremendously pressurized to be depoliticized, by being captured into the vicious cycle of commercialization, the students in this college: fight back by trying to carve out an ‘independent’ political space as against the culture of mainstream political slugfest. Presidency College, thus, still stands at its place resonating the culture of resistance, as it continues to be the witness of the freshness and vitality of youth.



The spirit Of Presidency College. (Image courtesy: Friend and photographer, Roshni Chakrabarti)







[1] College Street Coffee House is a cafe located opposite the Presidency College on College Street, Kolkata.  It has been for a long time a regular hangout and a renowned meeting place (adda) for intellectuals and student.The history of the Coffee House at College Street can be traced to Albert Hall, which was founded in April 1876.  Later, the Coffee Board decided to start a coffee joint from the Albert Hall in 1942. Notable citizens were frequent visitors to the place. In 1947, the Central Government changed the name of the place to "Coffee House”.

[2] A song from  Rabindranath Tagore’s dance drama, “Tasher Desh” written in the year 1933. Dedicated to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, it takes a satirical look at tyranny and regimentation and celebrates freedom of speech, thought and expression.

[3]  http://www.telegraphindia.com/1121011/jsp/calcutta/story_16077769.jsp#.VDo1AfmaVfB




Author's Bio- Note:
Prama after finishing her Masters in Sociology from Delhi School of Economics, in the year 2013, is presently a Research Scholar at the Department of Sociology, Presidency University.


No comments:

Post a Comment